Sunday, August 9, 2015

Underarm Stinky Stuff

This has been an extraordinarily hot summer; maybe it is hotter than I remember because I worked inside of a sterile, cool hospital department.  Nonetheless, with new animals on the homestead and grown children that don't participate in the chores like they used to, I have sweat like a pig every day.  Part of it is due to the fact that when I get up, all fans, air conditioner and any thing else that I don't need is unplugged and turned off to try and help with the electric bill.  It stays comfortable in the house until about 10 am ( about the time my outside chores are done ) and then I concede to the heat around 1 pm to 3 pm, depending on the humidity and turn on the AC and the bedroom ceiling fan. By the time Hubby gets home, it is tolerable.  By bedtime, the bedroom is very comfortable for sleep.

Being outside doing the chores (animals, laundry, watching the garden die) in triple digits, I am finally used to the sweat dripping off of me- well, occasionally a drop of sweat will drip off my arm and onto my leg and I get scared thinking it may be a wasp or uninvited insect, screaming slightly, hoping that Hercules is the only one to judge me.  But I don't feel "icky" like I used to when I got that soaked with perspiration.  To be honest, I rarely use any deodorant.  I try to take an evening shower before Hubby gets home for the sake our marriage and it is cool enough that I won't sweat too much by that time.  There has been a time or two that I thought the neighbor put chicken fertilizer on the field or that something was rotten, only to find the aroma followed me and became quite strong when I would hang out clothes or any other chore that I had to lift my arms up.   I do try to be considerate when I am out and about in town-, church, the feed store, Sam's club or wherever we may need to go. 

I have long ago discovered the warnings about all the highly scented deodorants and now "clinical" strength deodorants and aluminum.  I heard that if you eat the right foods you won't have body odor.  I have no idea if this is true or not, I am not a strict organic vegan by any stretch of the imagination.  Anyway, I have decided to try a very simple recipe that I saw on YouTube.  (Thank you Southern Homesteading Channel.)  I will let you know my "review" within the next week, as our temperatures are back in the upper 90s to 100s.  *Sigh*
The original recipe used 2 tablespoons each of corn starch, coconut oil and baking soda with 20 drops each of tea tree oil and lavender oil.  I don't have lavender oil, nor the money to spend on it, so I left it out.  Also, because I didn't have a cute little jar, I just used a jelly jar and doubled everything except for the tea tree, I used about 30 drops. 
Ingredients ready
 
Mixed with spoon (I didn't want to get my finger yucky later in the evening)

Mixed and ready for cooling/hardening in the bathroom cabinet

Wait...pretty it up with left over apron material...now we are ready
Do you have a special deodorant recipe that you use? 

No comments:

Post a Comment