Friday, May 17, 2013

The Bees' New Lifestyle

Admittedly, I gave our bees sugar water and dusted them with powder sugar as is the normal practice of beekeepers in the two different clubs I belonged to.   I wouldn't dream of putting chemicals on the bees, yes, even if it meant their demise.  But as I read and listened to various blogs and people, it made sense that GMO sugar (because I was not going to buy organic cane juice) was no better for the bees than us-if not worse!

So this winter, we decided not to feed them.  We hoped that they hadn't become dependent on us.  They did make it for a number of years without us, you know.  So far the four hives that we had remaining in the winter have all survived.  And, with the long spring and wonderful blooming season, they seem to be doing exceedingly well. 

This year our honey robbing will be minimal.  What we do take off, some of it will be saved for "just in case."



No comments:

Post a Comment