Thursday, December 27, 2012

Old Dog, New Trick

Sew, I am going to attempt to sew.  This is not an easy task as the nightmare of 8th grade home-economic sewing keeps popping in my head, sending me to a corner in the fetal position.  Well, maybe not that bad, but the 20 year old sewing machine that my mother got for me when I first got married is in pristine condition from no use. 

Well, here goes my first project - a pillow case.  I am loving these mix of crazy colors and patterns that I see on homemade pillow cases.  Of course there are fancy ribbons and embellishments that are beyond my current capability, but gives me a goal.
So a trip to a local Wal-mart produces these combinations for 4 cases.  Being a beekeeper, I decide to start with the bee pattern, but I will use the zebra stripe as the main case, just in case I totally mess up, a very high probability.
A little ironing, a little cutting, a little matching up. Oh, dear, I have got to learn to cut a straight line!  Time for a grid and fabric marker, me thinks.

Well, at least the pillow fits, sort of, could probably fit my king size pillow in there.  Now that I have the basic down, it's time to work on proper technique and hone my skills...a LOT!  But at least there may be hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment