Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Duck Dinner **graphic**

**Please note there are graphic pictures depicting duck butchering.

It has taken some time, many months really, to feel that our little homestead/tiny farm is providing benefit for us.  Initially there is cost without much reward.  I can't say there is work in the beginning because there is work every day.  Other than the occasional, did I shut the chickens in?, the work is satisfying and not stressful in a modern business sense.  The body and soul is content and rest comes fairly easily most of the time, even before the sun is completely gone.  Yes, I am saying that I went to bed last night before 8:30.  (Thankfully, daughter took care of the baby goats for the final feeding and hubby closed in all the birds for the night.)  I do, however, arise before the sun, and often before anyone else has gotten out of bed.  It gives me a few moments to gather my thoughts and say my prayers.

Last year was mostly about bringing what we wanted TO the homestead, whether we were ready or not.  This year is about using what we now have and being productive.

When we bought those 4 little ducklings late last winter, I was hoping for some eggs and to keep them on the pond. One duck (female), three drakes.  On the pond-once! 
 " He that lives upon hope will die fasting."- Benjamin Franklin.

With Daisy's injury, which is a broken leg, probably due to a goat stomp (there's another lesson I learned), Bo, Luke and Cooter were on her causing her even more injury, including feathers being pulled out. 

We opted to permanently fix the problem and give Daisy a fighting chance.  Luke and Daisy were moved into the garden coop with the other duck and the three older chickens and five newest chickens.  There were no goats, more grass and bugs near the garden and another possible love interest for Luke.  Bo and Cooter, not so lucky.  It was actually a little more emotionally challenging than I thought.  I guess because I had spent time and money on Cooter's eye issues that fully healed and they were my first duckies.  But, I am becoming a realist more and more, and do what has to be done.

Bye Bo!

We tried the killing cone (NOT GOOD)

Cooter had a cleaner kill


We were just keeping the breast this time

Dinner was bacon-wrapped duck breast, baked potato,
and homemade honey wheat oat bread
Yes, a veggie would have been good, but...

Daisy and Luke hang by the pond;
the young duck getting used to them

Not today, Benjamin Franklin, no fasting today!


No comments:

Post a Comment