Tuesday, April 19, 2016

April 19, 2016

The last month has been quite busy.  New baby goats.  Bottle feeding.  Dam-raised kids.  Greenhouse kept up.  And the rest of it.  There has been so much and so much more to do that I am starting to get a bit overwhelmed  and anxious that something important is going to be forgotten.  The family has really been pitching in when they are able. 

Big Plans for the day were strawberry picking and get those in the freezer, check the bees, especially for American Foul Brood (AFB) after finding a frame of dead bees in all stages of life.  We had put the frame in from another hive in the hopes of them making a queen and reviving; instead we killed a whole frame of bees.  I did a ropey test that was negative, so hopefully there isn't a problem, but I am burning the hive regardless.  There are only 3 bees I found in the hive. 

I awoke before dawn and prepared the kids milk.  The girl we named Tulip (yes, there is story and I shall explain someday) but the boy has yet to be named.  We were going to choose something regarding his black heart shaped nose.  Now we have learned that he has no voice, except for a high-pitched squeal when he is very, very unhappy.  I fed them.  Finally, they are both able to take a bottle while I stand there and hold it.  Only took two weeks of short naps and long settings in the goat stall. 

After the babies were fed, it was time to prepare for milking Mollie and going ahead and feeding the animals.  I grabbed the washing water (Epsom salt and warm water), a clean mason jar with a plastic lid and some goat feed. 

When I entered the goat yard, I noticed that Daisy Mae was limping.  I easily caught her and checked her feet.  Bumblefoot?  There were larger nodes on her feet.   It could be something with her leg.  I really am not sure.

I carried on with milking Mollie, while daughter helped water and feed other things.  She even took the pint of milk in to be strained and chilled immediately.  We finished feeding and watering all of the animals and prepared for a trip to Tractor Supply to get some Coban/Vet bandage to help Daisy's foot. 

We got back home and I had to check the other hive for any signs of disease.  It looked good to me so far.  Lots of angry, honey-making bees.  I will check again next week for good measure. 

I brought Daisy in, soaked her foot in Espom salt water for about 15 minutes.  She was scared, but very calm.  I put some Vetericyn spray on it, but decided to go ahead and put some antibiotic ointment on it anyway.  Daughter and I bandaged her up and took her back outside.  She was still dragging her foot, making me again wonder if it was more of a leg issue than the foot issue.  Could be she needs to get used to the bandage.  Nonetheless, we are going to bandage her for the next couple of days and see if the foot improves.

We got some garden work done.  I planted some green beans.  We did get a few more tomatoes and jalapenos in yesterday along with the soaker hose system (LOVE it!). 

Just the basic watering of potatoes, onions and cabbage.  It is finally in the mid 80s here and so I am keeping a shade cloth over my cabbage in the heat of the day.  I don't know if that's the right thing to do or not, but I am. 






I had kept the plants outside all night, no moving back into the greenhouse.  The newly transplanted zucchini did not do so well, but I have so many more to sow.  I will direct sow in the garden and finish transplanting  some
maybe to sell at Market?  Regardless, I am SO glad I had nothing to do in the greenhouse!  Just a wee bit too warm for me!


I guess my cheese quesadilla for lunch was a bit on the heavy side because my energy plummeted and other than feeding the babies, checking on the status of Daisy Mae, and folding laundry that is being put in the DRYER!! I haven't seemed to accomplish much more. 

I still have a good deal to do.  The yard is in dire need of mowing.  I still have some things to water around the yard and house, supper to cook, babies to bottle feed and eggs to gather, Mollie to milk and of course the general nightly cleanup.  I am thinking the mowing is going to wait until tomorrow.  It can't get too much worse and I hate to get rid of anything that chickens, rabbits or bees might be using.  Yea, that's the reason...










No comments:

Post a Comment