Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Hol(e)y Cabbage!!

On Lost Arrow Acres we strive to be the most natural and organic we can.  I am very picky about what I might use on our veggies.  Well, this is the first year that I have grown cabbage and they are not faring well.  Someone is enjoying them before we can. 

 So my first line of defense is a) DE (diatomaceous earth) and b) beer.  No, I am not going to drink it and hope I forget all about the cabbages; it's not even 9 AM yet!  
 I sprinkled the DE on and around the cabbages.  This is supposed to be sharp to any sluggy, wormy, grubby thing that tries to eat it. 
The Dollar Tree container lids will hold the sugary, yeasty beer, which is supposed to attract bugs before they hit the cabbages.  It makes sense right?  If your mother hadn't made you, would you have eaten the vegetables before the dessert?  No, I don't think so.
Well, there is my 2-punch for right now.  If that doesn't work, we will add more strategies.  Fingers crossed this does the trick.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and weed the bed too. 

2 comments: