Friday, November 6, 2015

Bulk Chicken Breast Order

As of yet, we are still not able to eat only our chickens. (We only had three roosters to butcher this spring and they are long gone.) I have asked Santa for a nice incubator to help us until we can get some Silkies ordered next spring.  My hens are not broody at all and I really want to be able to hatch out our chicks and ducklings.

Until we can get a routine to keep our freezer full with our own chickens, I still have to buy some.  That's where Zaycon Fresh comes in.  We had tried their lean beef a couple of months ago and it was excellent (and promised no pink slime in it).  I have heard lots of great things about their chicken too, so we purchased a box.  Yes, that equals 40-pounds of chicken breasts we brought home.

Other than the passive two and a half hours of canning time, it only took a couple of hours to get it all squared away. 

We brought home the nice box of chicken breasts that were bagged in 10-pound  bags and those four bags were double bagged in sealed blue plastic.  No worry about a mess in the car or even the box. 
The counters...a different story.
Cutting the trimmed breasts for the pint jars

Raw packed and ready for the canner

On your mark, get set, go!
 
Meanwhile, making freezer-ready
 
Plastic wrap, then aluminum foil, then...
Finally, gallon freezer bags


 


Had to put honey on my steam burn (one should
 pay attention to what they are doing)

Waiting for the "pings"

 
Ta-da!  Everything is put away nicely and ready for use.  I did keep a couple of whole breasts in the refrigerator to cook a few meals from soon.  Tonight, however, as requested from Hubby of course, is buffalo chicken and celery sticks.  I guess I had better make some homemade ranch dressing too!  (A great big thanks to Amy/Aunt Addie for the bottle of hot sauce that made it here from Indiana!)

Don't forget, if you want to give Zaycon a try, please use this link so I can get some credit on my next order.  Does that sound needy?  It should, I am.  zayconfresh.com/refer/zf471524

As a suggestion, get your orders in early.  I wanted to try their kielbasa last month (Octoberfest kielbasa and sauerkraut-Mmm) and it was sold out before I could barely think about it!




No comments:

Post a Comment