Saturday, November 7, 2015

Two Week Menu 11/7-11/21

This is going to be a couple of those "special" weeks.  With buying the chicken in bulk, our auto insurance increases, some unexpected medical bills, some higher priced healthier groceries last payday, and the timing of bills versus payday,  this week's menu and grocery list is some slim pickin's.  Personally, I love these challenge weeks.  It forces me to be creative and resourceful, and brings that personal satisfaction that one can achieve only through surviving a hardship. (Okay, that sounds a bit exaggerated, doesn't it.)  The family curls their nose at these menus, but I seem to do the same amount of dishes, actually more, so they must partake.

Breakfast (only on the weekends): Cream of wheat x 2, oatmeal x 2 and I have a can of o.j in the freezer left that we can stretch through one weekend.  I think we still have apple cider too.
 
Lunch:  Leftover suppers, frozen PB&J sandwiches, peaches, and rice crispy candy
 
Dinner: Leftover macaroni marinara with meatballs
Eggs, sausage, homemade toast with honey
"Fried" chicken breasts (1/2 per person), mashed potatoes, corn, homemade biscuits
Vegetable soup (clean out fridge day)
Chicken, rice, mixed vegetables
Pancakes
Chicken 'n dumplings, green beans
Chili soup
Homemade beef/cheese ravioli, broccoli or leftover green beans
"Fried" pork chops, rice with gravy, mixed vegetables
Pork stir-fry with rice
Pizza
Baked oatmeal, canned peaches, sausage
Tuna noodle casserole, peas, applesauce
 

 

My To-Do list:  Make 2 batches of biscuits (freeze extra)  make bread for sandwiches, dinner bread, pizza dough (freeze extra), rice cereal candy, make milk (include remaining whole milk, evap milk), make ravioli and noodles, cook kidney beans for chili.  I have a variety of dried beans that I might go ahead and cook up to freeze or can.  (Probably freeze with the extra baking that has to be done.) Pinto, black, red, cranberry, garbanzo, navy...I think I have a hoarding problem!
 
The grocery list includes, potatoes, flour and buttermilk.  I think we can swing that.  Maybe if things go well I can find some fresh salad vegetables too.  Fingers crossed.  I tried to start some lettuce seeds last month, but they did not survive: the caveat of having one commercial-sized greenhouse too expensive to heat/cool, and one too small to remember!
 
Our weather seems to be cloudy and more rain chances this coming week, so it will be an excellent baking week less the humidity, but at least I know I won't be missing out on the sunshine and fall breezes. 
 
What's on your upcoming menu? 


No comments:

Post a Comment