Sunday, July 23, 2017

Sunday Sales and Short Menu Plan

On my journey to remain frugal while I work, I am trying to take advantage of stretching my dollars the best I can.  I also want to become a more responsible adult by planning for things and being prepared in advance.  For example, I make my own turmeric capsules, so when Mt. Rose Herbs has their turmeric powder on sale, I want to make sure I have the funds to bulk up on it.

Today, Hubby, Daughter and I went to town and three different stores.  Our first stop was Tractor Supply.  I got Hubby 10 pairs of new socks.  (Next week we are going to get him new boots to try and keep his socks from getting holes very quickly.)  He also got a Wolverine wicking T-shirt that was on clearance.  We went to see if any rope was on sale. Sadly, it was not.  I know the $12.99 rope will be $5.00 sometime.  I hope to hold off until then. We spent $19.24 on Hubby's wardrobe.

Our second store was Belk.  This is an example of the tasks I am trying to become that responsible adult.  I have been wanting to get some new towels for some time now. Our towels are becoming very thin and holey.  They have been with us for over 10 years.  I waited until I could afford some decent, non-walmart towels that I think will last.  I bought three new ones at 45% off.  I spent $24.58 there.

The next stop, Ingles grocery store.   I spent $41.15 there.  My groceries include:
tortilla chips 1.98 (Hubby's request)
salsa  3.18  (Hubby's request)
chocolate banana milk 2.00 (Hubby's request) ugh!
dry great northern beans 1lb  1.00  (added to the jar)
whole wheat baking mix, out of the clearance buggy 1.44  (not my usual buy, but thought I would try)
NZ water, out of the clearance buggy   .50 ( I was thirsty)
2  half-gallon buttermilk  2.70  (Time to freeze some biscuits!!)
1 gallon organic whole milk 3.00
32 oz cottage cheese  2.18
8 oz cheddar cheese cubes from deli dept.  2.00
16 oz Sour cream 1.67
roll of paper towels 1.00 (I still haven't made my unpaper towels!)
5lbs of chicken thighs  3.99
organic chicken legs (10)  3.13
country style pork ribs  2 packages  6.89
broccoli, cauliflower, carrot and cabbage slaw 16 oz 1.49
2 organic lemons for my tea and water 1.76
I also got a couple of catalina coupons on this trip:  75 cents off string cheese and a free pint of halo top ice cream (?).  Maybe, maybe not.


My menu plans for this week:
Today is chili and PB&J.  (Yes, it's 100 degrees out, but that's what sour cream if for). I had ground turkey, red peppers, onion, garlic that I cooked in a little EVOO.  I added the leftover tomato sauce (rinsing my jar with water to get every ounce of sauce out and the frozen kidney beans I had in the freezer. Finally, I added my chili and cumin powders.  When it was up to temp, I ladled it over a couple of cheese cubes and topped with jalapenos, sour cream and love. (This pot will last all day and probably lunch tomorrow!)

Monday-Crockpot BBQ ribs, broccoli/cauli/carrot/cabbage slaw tossed with mayo, vinegar and sprinkle of sugar and some suntea.

Tuesday-Hot legs (buffalo chicken legs), carrot sticks, cottage cheese.  I hope to use these organic bones for chicken stock (I haven't used bones from buffalo cooked chicken, so I will probably just freeze this stock in case it is "off"

Wednesday-Crockpot Thai chicken thighs with rice.  (I found Thai Red Curry sauce at Aldi for  .99 last week.  I will add this to the thighs and maybe throw in some green onion and mushrooms from Aldi .69)

Thursday-Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and green beans and buttermilk biscuits.  (I have 65# of ground beef coming from Zaycon Wednesday that I have to put away!)

Friday-French toast, bacon and fruit salad (I have some cinnamon syrup that I accidentally bought many months ago and have not opened-that's not how I want to be).

Saturday...TBD.  I am going to see what leftovers we have and what I can make with them.

This will leave me just a few little things to shop for this week, i.e., green onions, fresh seasonal fruit for Friday's meal AND I can check out if anything worthy is marked down then!





No comments:

Post a Comment