Monday, March 19, 2018

Menu Monday

Let's jump back on the wagon with this...

Of course, I only plan the suppers.  Breakfast is hit or miss and is usually oats or cream of wheat.  Sometimes I get a little crazy and do a green juice or smoothie.  Lunches are usually leftovers or those infamous frozen sandwiches (peanut butter and jelly or meat and cheese) and little extras like trail mix, fruit etc. except on Friday, Saturday and Sunday when Hubby is home.  

Monday-sliced ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, salad
Tuesday-taco salad
Wednesday-minute steak, mashed potatoes, gravy, buttermilk biscuits, green beans
Thursday-ham and beans, spinach, cornbread
Friday-brunch (veggie egg scramble, sausage, fruit)
          French onion soup
Saturday-ham salad sandwiches
              buffalo chicken pizza 
Sunday- Sunday dinner as decided by mom and myself
             leftovers 

Extras: Banana bread x 3 (eat one, give one, freeze one)
            Buttermilk biscuits (freeze 30-40)
            Mini breakfast bagels (entire bag)
            Canned cranberry juice 
            Canned black beans finished up
            Dehydrate onions that mom gave to us.  I may sauté these to freeze as             well in 1/2 cup portions.
            Artesian or French bread to go on the soup.


I honestly don't remember how I used to grocery shop the last time I was home or if I even had a system-was it a two-week menu?? Regardless of the past, I am finding it cost effective to get whatever I can find that we will eat on "clearance" or reduced  specials because of expiration dates.  I do occasionally pick up something a little off the beaten path such as the pork necks I got for super cheap and little smokies that I got for less than 50 cents a pound.  Specifically, I peruse the produce, meat and dairy for now (I have 3 goats pregnant and should not need a lot of milk products for much longer). I bring those items home and preserve them, whether it's in the freezer, dehydrator, canner, fermenting or just use them.  Of course, most of the items are either frozen or dehydrated.  Does that sound familiar?  I also check out the sales ads for anything I still need or is a good value. 

This week's menu is based off just that:  Deals found last week and other inventory that needs used soon. 

1. 24-pound ham 99 cents a pound
2. Taco meat in freezer from a month ago
3. Leftover potatoes from last Sunday's dinner of potato salad I made. ( I may be bartering my Yukon gold for some russets that we got for mom. What a privilege to have my mom several yards away) 
4. #10 can of green beans from Sam's.  I had considered trying to re-can into smaller jars.  I just haven't done that yet.  The family does not prefer the frozen green beans from Sam's for some reason- too long, stems still attached, squeaky to chew...may be a preparation issue huh...
5. Bananas 25 cents a pounds (I can always grab bananas on the cheap)
6. Mini bagels and bagels were on instant savings at Sam's.  A dollar saved is a dollar...saved. 
7. Minute steak was on sale 2.99 a pound.  That still hurts me; I remember when I would wait for the $1.99 per pound sales.  Oh well, times change and I just don't see that price here anymore. 
8.  Onion soup from the onions I won't be preserving that mom gave me. Apparently 15 pounds was a bit much for her to handle for now.  I will definitely give her some of the spoils when I have them.
9.  Spring mix and baby spinach was on sale. 

I think that is most of the deals and inventory I already have.  Hopefully as the weeks go by it will be easier to see what I have, what I use and how it works for the greater good. 
I am not pretending that what you find on clearance is the healthiest of choices. I do hope that I am putting enough other good stuff into the meals to balance it out a bit.  I am also trying to keep the portions a bit smaller to stretch the budget and shrink the waistline. 

What does my Tuesday shopping list look like? (We go Tuesday for triple fuel points.) 
Clearance finds - to be determined
tomatoes for salads
iceberg or romaine lettuce
full fat buttermilk
butter 
relish

I think that is about it as far as needs.  I may not even need the butter if I dive into the bottom of my freezer.  I have an inkling there is some hiding down there.  

Do you plan and then buy or buy and then plan or do you fly-by-the seat-of-your pants? What are your best menu tips to help me get back on track? 

Happy cooking! 





No comments:

Post a Comment