Sunday, August 11, 2013

Abject Apple Trees

On one's quest for a fully functioning homestead, fruit trees are a must.  Having been raised in the Midwest, apples, cherries and pears were a standard; moving to the South I have tried to adjust to peaches, figs and pomegranates. 

I know I can have apple trees but I have to choose wisely with trees with low chill hours.  There are many chill hour charts out there to assist me.  However, my trees have not done well...at all. Since I am strongly against any -cides, including pesti, fungi, herbi (even homi and sui) with their systemic poisoning of the environment, and also because I am just frustrated, I considered just digging all the trees up and getting rid of them for a fresh start on another area on the property and planting garlic beds there instead.  I am trying not to overreact and I have decided to read up on "natural" control methods for our diseases. 


The first problem we have encountered is cedar apple rust (CAR).  We have a lot of cedar trees on the property and a few have those freaky orange fingery things-galls.  So, it really should be no surprise that my trees have developed CAR.   It is even on the crabapple trees. 
So what are my options.  According to an organic gardening author, garlic spray may help, as well as catching the leaves and disposing of them properly.  Another option is to do a little research and find varieties that are both lower chill hours and resistant to CAR.  So before I waste a few dollars and many months, I will attempt to treat my four little trees.  Below either the Winesap or Stayman that exhibits the CAR. 
 
 
My Red Delicious tree does not show signs of bad CAR, only a leaf or two.  It is a resistant variety...well, to CAR.   Unfortunately, the Red Delicious that I have for a pollinator is not resistant to woolly aphids.  I have not been out to the orchard, and I use that term very loosely, for several weeks.  And that is what I found...woolly aphids.  I wanted to get mom's hand cards out and make a rolag (that would be as far as I could go.  I have tried to use a spindle to spin roving into yarn...not too pretty).
 
Luckily, I just need to spray the branches off  and keep better watch on them. 
 
I feel so negligent.  I hope nobody calls the ATPS (apple tree protective services).   Nonetheless, I am going to continue my research and attempts at treating my fruit trees with only natural methods.  It may or may not work.  If it doesn't, figs it is...sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment