Thursday, August 8, 2013

Bulbils

As you know, I love my garlic.  I have it drying as we speak.  I learned something today about the neat the little flowers on the scapes.  I am not a Master Gardener but I have had my share of gardens, growing things in a greenhouse and assisting my mother who is a Master Gardener.  Yet, I did not realize that the flowers were actually made of bulbils or garlic seeds if you will.  One of those a-ha moments that is a bit embarrassing to admit.  I read a few articles on it and discovered that these seeds will produce a good sized garlic bulb in three years, they are often more prolific than the parent plant, and because they have not touched the soil they are disease-free and healthier. Luckily, I am a procrastinator / hoarder and did not throw away the two flowers from my garlic harvest.  I have bagged up 90 bulbils to plant for a huge harvest in three years.  Aren't plants fascinating?

No comments:

Post a Comment