Thursday, August 27, 2015

Back to Bible Basics: The 10 Commandments #3

Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain:  for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

This is one of those "take the plank out of your eye before you go to your brother about the speck in his" for me.  I easily pick out when someone uses God's name in common conversation as an explicative or exclamation, but yet, I can do the same thing and not catch it until it comes out.  This is getting better as the Holy Spirit has made me more aware of things such as these.  I thought I would listen to an audio file on the internet of one of the local churches and just clicked on one.  Within the first 20 seconds, the student pastor used the Lord's name in vain.  I don't even like when a teacher/preacher uses gosh.  I think this just becomes a very bad habit and we are not paying attention to His name.  That is HUGE isn't it?   We ought not be so lackadaisical this high on the list, should we?  This is commandment 3! I want to be more aware.

I wonder how often it is spoken on television.  I am fortunate in that I only have about 10 channels-yes, basic local TV through the phone company, none of those fancy schmancy channels with nudity, violence and language...oh, wait, that is on the local channels too now, isn't it.  I think tonight, if I have time, I will watch a 30 minute show and see if the Lord's name is said in vain and tally it up.  I will let you know. 



No comments:

Post a Comment