Monday, December 28, 2015

Christmas Ham Leftovers

As you know, I didn't have the  leftover Thanksgiving turkey torture that most people did this year, since I stayed on the farm while the family traveled to the Midwest.  I had no turkey to cook, eat or save.  (It was fabulous!)

The son receives a ham for Christmas from his work, and that is what we had for Christmas Dinner.  Although, admittedly, this year was not the feast that I normally do; not even a dessert.  We did have plenty of stocking candy for any sweet tooth that arose, however. 

One of the uses for our leftover ham was good old fashioned ham salad.  I really like Paula Deen's recipe and use that to go by.


Used my new meat grinder (yay!) and finished up the rest of the ham to make just over 3 cups.

 I diced up 4 celery stalks.  I could have gone smaller, but I like the crunch.
 Then comes the tears.  I used half of a large onion for about a 1/2 cup.
 I added 1/2 cup of chow chow that my neighbor gave us for Christmas-sooo good!
 Two hard boiled duck eggs chopped.
 Not my homemade mayonnaise...but 3/4 cup of mayo and about 2 teaspoons of mustard.
 
 
Mixed and ready for consumption.  It makes enough for everyone to have ham salad sandwiches until New Year's!  And since the ham, eggs, and chow chow were free it makes it a great frugal start to the new year.
 
 
Share with me your favorite ham salad recipe! (Ham is still on sale, so for the next go round.) 


No comments:

Post a Comment