Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Mad Max's Shelter

I had one picture of Max's shanty on a previous post, but thought I would go a bit more in depth about the frugality of our farm.

We have moved this dog kennel all around the place for different reasons.  Yes, it started out as a dog kennel for Hercules.  He tore up the door and easily climbed out of it.  We used it for a bunny play pen.   We used it when Mad Max was but a wee lad.  We used it to put hens in for a short time.  Once again, it is Max's shelter.  With Brie and Mollie both being bred (I am 95% sure of this), Max had to be separated because of his butting them in the stomach and his chasing them and his stench. 

I am hoping that he will be okay in his new quarters until we get him a wether to be his friend.  I will still let him out and about, just not with the girls, and not unsupervised.  But, this will be after he becomes familiar with this new living arrangement. 

So we set up the kennel behind the garden in a pine grove and hubby and son took some leftover fence we had and wrapped it around trees, only needing 3 or 4 fence posts.  It is not a huge area, but he has plenty of room to romp around if he wants. Hubby removed the inner chain link fence of the kennel, leaving it open. The door of the kennel is open so that he can come and go from the outside when I let him.  The fence is attached to either side of the kennel. We used PVC pipe we had lying around and made the top arch for protection and hopefully to not hold water.  This next week will be the test.  We zip/cable tied the black plastic I had left over to the shelter. Hubby also duct taped some of the lose edges that he thought needed it.  He has some fresh straw to bed in and a pretty purple water bucket that I haul water to every day and a food bowl that I will be moving inside the shelter when the rains begin.  I may have to add a pallet to keep him off the ground depending on how the rain flows.  Well, it ain't pretty, but you can't beat the price!

I know he is not a happy camper.  I know they are herd animals, but he will just have to hold out for a little while.  I don't know, I may let them all graze together if they behave, that is asking a lot, but my guilt may get the best of me.   I will make sure he has his share of attention and treats. 





No comments:

Post a Comment