Monday, May 7, 2018

Monday 5.7.18

We survived the weekend!  We had tried our hand at an underutilized local Farmer's Market. (I have only seen one vehicle/vendor there one time in seven years.)  We had a few lovely customers, but was it worth the 2 and 3 days of cooking, and all of the work that Mamaw put into it.  No.  I do believe that with consistent showing up it would grow, but when you have goats to milk, babies to feed, gardens to tend to, housework, cooking for the family, you know, a life not dependent on that income, it makes it a stressful chore.  We shall see what happens.  

What is on the agenda for today? 


I really have to get the house at least straightened up.  Having spent Thursday and Friday cooking and preparing for the market and going to the market, I got behind.  I am putting in a concerted effort to make breakfast for Hubby every morning.  Fingers crossed.  It will actually make things easier for me as far as having to prepare bulk sausage, egg and cheese biscuits and keeping them in the freezer.  I will do this occasionally either if we have an abundance of eggs, breakfast meat goes on sale, I have leftovers to use up or the mood strikes. It will be nice to have the backup if I am sick, tired or just plain stubborn.  

I am going back to pick some more berries.  I have a couple more weeks to do this and I intend to load up the freezer and jam shelf.  I did get 5 pints of jam and 6 pints of strawberry lemonade concentrate done last week.  


I have 50 Cornish cross chicks coming this week so it is imperative that I get the barn ready and make sure all of the equipment (waterers, feeders, heat lamps) are washed and ready for them.  I also need to make sure I have some cookies (I think mom's leftover market cookies might come in handy) to give to the post office for receiving the baby chicks.  

I have this week's menu planned and I did go to Sam's and Aldi yesterday in preparation, but I did not get everything (lemons were sold out!  What!?) and still need to make a trip today to finish up the shopping so there are no "glitches" the rest of the week.  Is this the most healthy menu...no...but I am trying to find balance between what is on the homestead, what is in the pantry/freezer and what is affordable and what is healthy-oh, and if it tastes good too.  I am packing everyone's lunch, including mine and daughter's so that we don't scrounge around at 12:30 and just eat chips...unless it has specified chips, and they are in the brown lunch bag! 



It is finally normal "southern spring" weather-in the 80's.  Finally time to get those sweatshirts, jackets and camouflage hunting outfits out of the closet and under the bed.  I always leave at least two sweatshirts out for those 2 am possum attacks that require running out in the cooler night air. 

It is dawn and I hear the roosters crowing.  That is my cue to get out there and feed, water, prepare to milk and feed and get the day going.  I hope you have a blessed and productive Monday! 




No comments:

Post a Comment