Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Let's Get Ready to Declutter!

Is it the change in seasons coming up?  I am so ready to get my home "minimalized" just a little bit.   I have never been a "spring cleaner", I feel more generous to the landfill in the fall.  I know, I have been couponing and bringing lots of things into the house: shampoo, toothbrushes, dish soap, laundry soap, and food.  These things are taking up space, but they are put up in an organized, more hidden fashion.  Those things don't bother me...yet.  However, the papers, books, clothes, knick-knacks, SMALL APPLIANCES and GADGETS that don't have a proper space, a place they can call home and I can tell hubby where to put them back need to be gotten rid of.  It causes me paralysis.

So I am getting my flylady feng shui on!

I have made a challenge for myself to get rid of at least 10 things that I don't like, want or need every day.  Some things may be going on Craigslist or the local Facebook yard sales groups (actual yard sales wouldn't be feasible way out in the boonies).  Some things may be going in the trash.  Some things may be going to Goodwill.  Regardless of an item's resting place, it is time to get some order and clear space in the house.  This personal challenge goes above and beyond the 15 minute decluttering that I (cough, cough) should be doing everyday!

Yesterday I raided the cookbook shelves.  I am starting safe.  I threw away 8 cooking magazines from 12 years ago and a couple of promotional cookbooks that I think were given to me because someone else didn't want them.  It is a sad life for an unwanted cookbook, and now he shall be laid to rest.

Today I upped my game and decided to go through the closet.  I threw away my old comfy Ts and and a couple of things I just don't want to wear, as well as Bruce's never to rarely worn T-shirts. Yes, it's a little presumptuous of me to throw away his clothes, but I do the wash and know what he hasn't worn in a while.


As I said, right now I am playing it safe.  To be honest, I can't tell that anything has been done.  That's okay.   I didn't want to just throw away trash per se, you know, the junk mail that I haven't handled yet, or old pieces of scratch paper in the office, but I also am not mentally ready to do a full on KonMari either.  I want to be able to see a difference in a week or so, not have a bonfire tonight.

Is anyone else feeling the need to purge?  What is your method?

Now it is time to get my routines and normal daily chores done, and maybe even that 15 minutes of decluttering that is on the calendar.

Have a blessed and productive day!

No comments:

Post a Comment