Sunday, June 21, 2015

Food Friday 6/19/15

I didn't get a picture of my haul today.  I had to ice the bunnies and water the animals as soon as I got back from shopping and my daughter put all the groceries up for me. 

I did spend $56.82 at Aldi and $21.23 at Publix.  A bit over budget, okay, a lot over budget, but I really need to get some quality food in here.  I am changing our menu a bit because of increasing health issues, summer heat and change of palate. 

The kids were gone tonight and hubby ate almost a whole bag of chips and a whole jar of salsa (1.19 and 1.89 respectively)from Aldi's and drank about 1/2 gallon of tea, so I was really the only one ready for supper so I fixed what I wanted without any qualms. 

I had chicken quarters thawed in the fridge, so I trimmed off the meat and stir-fried it.  I cut a red onion, half of a yellow and half of an orange pepper, 2 cloves of my garlic from the garden last year and boiled some long grain rice.  I added pineapple chunks and tamari.
Groceries from this week:  Multi-colored peppers-$2.99, pineapple-$1.49

Because of the heat this week, I have been making cooler, less cooking time foods.  Pasta salad, steak salad, chef salad, egg salad, etc.  You see where I am going with this.

Luckily, eggs, tomatoes, radishes, and cucumbers are coming in on daily so there is a good supply.  Meat and protein is being used as a condiment.  That is why I am okay with buying more expensive cuts and quality of meat because it will go further. 

Feel free to send me any good, cool recipes to try this summer.  I am definitely going to spend some evenings perusing Pinterest too. 

Happy, healthy eating! 

No comments:

Post a Comment