Monday, June 15, 2015

Watermelon Rind Preserves

Do you have those days where you want to live like your great-grandparents?  Those days where nothing goes to waste.  Those days when what you already have is enough.  Those days when being resourceful and frugal were just everyday, nothing to write home about.

Well, I had one of those days, actually yesterday.  After eating a watermelon from Aldi's ($2.69), not only did I have 12 plastic containers full of left over melon, I had the rind and peel that looked so wasteful.  How awesome is the internet, really? 


Watermelon cubes
I found watermelon rind pickles and watermelon rind preserves.  Duh, I am going to try the one with sugar first!  I am such a jam, jelly and preserves novice, but here goes...

Rind with most of the melon saved and frozen, soaking in salt water


Rind, lemon slices, cinnamon, cloves, sugar and water


Fingers crossed that it "gels"

 
I will let you know if it was worth the sugar or not.  Next on the agenda is watermelon rind pickles.  Should I attempt the cucumber pickles first???  

No comments:

Post a Comment