Thursday, January 7, 2016

Leftover Bread

If I use the bread machine to make bread I always end up with leftovers.  This is not the case when I oven bake it.  Having had worked a fairly long day, I decided to just throw it in the bread machine  for supper.  And I had a good 2/3 of the loaf left.  I waited a week with no takers.  Not wanting to waste it, it was time to utilize it.

Bread is fairly easy to dispose of, especially if you have chickens, OR unless you have waited too long and it starts to be a lab experiment similar to Alexander Flemings.

This time I went with bread pudding and seasoned bread crumbs.
For the bread crumbs I just took all the crusts off the square loaf and put them in a cool oven to dry them out and then slipped them into a gallon storage bag and pulverized them.  Such fun!  I also threw in a little of Italian seasoning for good measure and into the bread crumb container that has been in the pantry for years.

I read several recipes when I try something new or something I haven't made in a long time, and I don't remember making bread pudding for a very long time.  In this case, I wasn't overly concerned that it would be ruined, so my plan was to throw in what looked and smelled and felt about right and hoped for the best.  Bread cubed, melted butter, vanilla, cinnamon, sugar, milk and raisins.  I topped with some coconut sugar for a little color.  I have to admit that it tasted like an oven French toast.  BUT, most importantly...no leftovers this time!



Good to have in the ol' arsenal of leftovers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment