Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The Incubator Novice

I have had my first incubator going now for 15 days.  This weekend I dropped and cracked one of my two duck eggs.  The remaining one is six days old and looks like this:

I have one chicken egg that is 15 days old and you can barely see the baby chick in there because it is from a cuckoo maran and the egg shell is very dark, but you can see it nonetheless.   I have another egg that is not quite as far along but you can still see the dark that is alive. 

I have three eggs that I believe are nothing.  No chick, no breakfast, probable fish food.

It is very exciting but I am still nervous about bothering them too much.  This is only the second time I have attempted candling them.  I don't want to handle them too much. 

Maybe someday I will have a duck or a hen that will be broody and take care of this for me.  Until then, I have the small 7-egg incubator on a nightstand behind my closet door to stay warm and dark.  I also have a large 48-egg foam incubator that is available when I want to hatch out a whole flock. 
(The wrong incubator got ordered and it was going to cost almost $70 just to mail it back.  We just kept it for the future.)

No comments:

Post a Comment