Thursday, May 14, 2015

Come on Noon!

If you read my last post, you know how I envied all of nature at noon with its stillness and warmth. 

Well, let me introduce you to the morning.  I would call this a DITL (day in the life), but really this is just from 4:30 until 6:30 am.

I hear my son's alarm going off so decide I had better get up and get everyone's lunches ready.  I have discovered that if they do it themselves they either go through our supplies twice as fast as they should or they don't take lunch at all and things get wasted-feast or famine.  I begin waking up by turning on a little iheartradio to a Vivaldi self-created station to ease into the day.  So I open up the lunch boxes to find an ooey, gooey, syrupy mess in the hubby's.  Really?  So let's start the morning by washing out the lunch boxes.  That explains why the red one was used instead of the blue for the last week.  (Rolling eyes.)  This goes smoothly; sandwiches and leftovers, grapes, peanut butter crackers, juice and cough drops for the sickly one, oats and more syrup-in an extra brown lunch bag-for the hubby.  I have time to clean up a little before they are up.  I consider making breakfast.  No, let's not spoil them, besides they have breakfast bagels in the freezer.  I put in a load of laundry and as the son comes out of his room, I remind him to leave some of his dirty clothes for me to wash.  I think that was positive groan I heard from his direction.  Ah yes, it was; there are clothes in the hallway now.

Shortly, everyone is doing the zombie walk out the door to work and school with lunches in hand.  I now have two loads of clothes in my basket and the sun is up.  I take the basket and set it on the rail so I can open up the chickens.  I decided that it would be a nice thing for me to do if I let the goats out to nibble on poison ivy and privet whilst I hang out my laundry.  I set my basket down and glance at the goats heading toward the greenhouse.  Nothing in there, let them be curious.  All of a sudden I hear a horrific squeal.  The bunnies!  I run as fast as I can in my muck boots and with a broken toe to find our cat on top of a rabbit...one of our bunnies!  Oreo sees me and takes off.  The rabbit runs back into the garden fence.  I trot back around to get in the garden and pick him up.  He does not move.  He is in shock.  I see a white rabbit also out and about.  I put the possibly injured bunny on top of the cage inside an old honey super that we help to hold down the feed bags to give them shade.  He does not move.  The white one, however, is not quite as ready to leave the green, green grass outside of his tractor.  Nonetheless, he goes.  I hold the other one a little while, examining him.  I see one little scratch on his ear, but no blood.  Nothing else external.  I leave him in the honey super and feed the others and also the chickens and ducks.  I come back move the tractor to a new patch of grass, checking for dips where they can escape out the bottom fence and fill one with a brick.  I put him gently back in the tractor. He remains still amongst the others. 

Then I hear something in the greenhouse.  Brie has knocked over a stack of gallon pots.  I shoo them out of the greenhouse.  They seem to moderately behave as I finish putting the rest of the clothes on the line.  I grab a bit of feed to bribe them back into the fence so I can check my garden for rabbit damage.  Yep, some of my lettuce has been nibbled quite badly.  My newly sprouted beans seem to be intact.  What the?!?  Brie.   In the garden?  Exhale to slumped shoulders.  "Come on Brie, back to the..."  She jumps back over the chicken wire part of the fence and runs back toward the clothesline and runs into Mollie.  I grab both of their collars and head toward the gate.  The gate latch has been broken!  The girls escape and take off running.  I am sure from the outside it was funny to watch.  I cannot recall the next 10 minutes of running through the trees and poison ivy on the driveway side of the coop, tripping over the roots, rocks and stones.  My broken toe is now a bit painful, but as much as just wanted to let the dog have the goats, I had to finish this and reaffirm my authority. The queen bee shall prevail!  I had to literally drag Brie like a stubborn mule all the way around the shed to the goat barn.  I locked her in her stall so that I could try to temporarily repair the gate to hold them in.  I wasn't worried about Mollie, she will come back in soon enough.  She did, after hearing her sister in their stall throwing a hissy fit.  I fed the adult rabbits in their cages.  I was so thankful everyone had enough water to last until noonish.  I gave Mollie some sweet feed and grabbed the blue nylon rope hanging on the barn and proceeded to make a web trying to hold the gate shut.  A bit out of breath I went back in the house passing the digital clock on the stove.  6:29!  Good grief!  Come on noon!  I need some peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment