Thursday, May 7, 2015

Food Friday- Menu for 5/9

I have to admit that perusing the ads this week was very disappointing.  Since living on a very strict budget, trying to get the most bang for my buck at the grocery stores is very hard. I guess that's why we are having so many soups this week, just as the weather heats up. Yay!

Saturday-
Brunch.  Blueberry ricotta bread to use up leftover ricotta and frozen blueberries. I'll have to re-find the recipe though. Scrambled veggie eggs and maybe bacon.
Supper. Ham, cabbage and potato skillet and green beans.

Sunday-
Pankcakes, bacon.  
Pizza-buffalo chicken with homemade ranch instead of blue cheese for hubby.

Monday- Split pea soup.  I have leftover ham and a bag of carrots and split peas just begging to be used up. I'll just turn up the air conditioner this evening.

Tuesday-
Our weekly spaghetti with homemade canned sauce, homemade bread, salad with lettuce from the garden.

Wednesday-
CORD soup.  Yep, that frugal Clean Out Refrigerator Day Soup.  So far this will most likely include a ham cabbage potato skillet, left over  green beans, broccoli and cooked carrots.  

Thursday-
Bean potpourri pot.  A few times a month I will throw in beans, rice and tomatoes with chilies with a little chili powder, cumin and cayenne for the sake of frugality.  This time I will be using black beans. Aldi had a great deal about two or three months ago and we have really enjoyed them.  I kept them dry though and didn't can them.  Maybe next time.  Hopefully soon because I am almost out!

Friday-
Grill day (weather permit).  I have split breasts and leg quarters in the freezer. I think this would be a good BBQ day. Homemade BBQ sauce,  Potato salad (Cook's Country recipe-LOVE it!), cole slaw, sun tea and fresh lemonade for a couple of Arnold Palmers.  And the easy peach cobbler for dessert.  Sorry mom, not traditional like you do. (This is the extravagant day since payday).
Grilled hot dogs with leftover salad and slaw.

LUNCHES- leftovers, tuna salad, chicken salad, and pb&j. May break down for some cheap bologna for sandwiches for their lunches. I am wanting to make about 2 dozen or so PB&J to put in the freezer. 

Recipes I am trying:
Blueberry Ricotta Squares (allrecipes)
1 c. flour, 3/4 c. sugar, 1 1/4 tsp baking powder in a bowl.  Mix 1/3 c. milk, 1/4 c. shortening (I will be using butter), 1 egg and lemon extract (which I will omit as I don't have it, but I do have some lemon zest in the freezer that I may sprinkle in).  Add egg mix into flour mix.  Pour into a greased 9-inch square dish.  Layer the berries.  Mix the 2 eggs, 1 1/4 c ricotta, 1/3 c. sugar and 1/4 tsp vanilla until well blended.  Spoon over berries and spread evenly.  55-60 minutes at 350.

Texas Potato Salad (Cooks Country)
Combine 1/2 c. red wine vinegar, 1 1/2 Tbl sugar, 1 1/2 tsp salt in bowl.  You are supposed to microwave this, but I don't have a microwave, so I just leave out covered. Add 1/2 red onion and 1 minced jalapeño and 1 sliced. Set aside for 15 or more minutes. Strain onion and jalapeños over bowl. Reserve pickled vegetables and vinegar mixture separately. Meanwhile, boil 3# of Yukon Gold potatoes. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes. Drain potatoes, transfer to large bowl and drizzle 2 tablespoons reserved vinegar mixture over potatoes until evenly coated. Refrigerate until cool, about 30 minutes.  Whisk mayonnaise, mustard, ½ teaspoon pepper, and cayenne until combined. Add mayo mix, pickled vegetables, eggs, and celery to potatoes and combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate to let flavors blend, about 30 minutes. Serve. (Luckily I am of German descent and don't mind a warm potato salad because sometimes I just can't wait. :)

Peach cobbler (memorized from somewhere??)
Melt 1 stick of butter in a cake pan. Mix 1 c. flour, 1 c. sugar, 1 Tbl baking powder.  I sprinkle a little salt in.  No real measurement.  I add 1 c. of milk and stir.  Once the butter is melted I pour the batter over the butter without stirring.  I add a large can of canned peaches in heavy syrup, or if it is a light version in its own juice, I will sprinkle about 1/3 to 1/2 c. of sugar on them.  Bake it at 375 for about 40 minutes or so. 

GROCERY LIST:
Can of tomato juice
Blue cheese dressing (Aldi)
Cherry tomatoes
Ketchup (Sam's) divide into 3 reused bottles
Brown sugar
Jalapeno (Aldi)
(Got red onions last week at Aldi 2# for $.69)
Yukon Gold potatoes
Mustard (Aldi) Probably will start collecting mustard bottles for a Sam's purchase
Bologna (Aldi)
Hot Dogs (Sam's) Grilling season is here!  Freeze extras.
Mozzarella (Sam's)
Lemons (Aldi or Sam, depending on quality)
Tea (Aldi)
Peaches (Aldi)
Cabbage
Peanut butter (Sam's)
Jelly (Aldi)
Bread (Aldi) x 4-5
Grapes
Bananas
Cantaloupe
Split breasts (BiLo for $1 lb.) Restock freezer 
Tuna (Sam's)

No comments:

Post a Comment