Thursday, May 7, 2015

Garden Journal 5/7/15

Now that the Holidays are over (May the 4th be with you, Cinco de Mayo), it's time to get back to serious food production in the garden.

Admittedly,  I have done a horrendous job of labeling.  I hope that from this point forward I can do better job.  One will never make it to the Farmer's Market that way! "Do you have Homestead tomatoes?"  "Yes, I do."  "Which ones?"  " I dunno."
But it seems I am somewhat cursed.  The ones that do have a label die and those that don't seem to do fine.

Nonetheless, I carry on sowing and planting.  Right now in the garden I have lettuce, radishes, snap peas, cucumbers, 1 green bean?, kale, beets, hot peppers, sweet peppers, wheat and corn (a patch of each for experimental purposes and hopefully animal feed).  Things are up and growing.  It is the best it has been at Lost Arrow Acres since we now have a fence.  However, we did find a dip in the ground that something (a rabbit) must have gotten in and decided to eat half of my beets.  But on the upside, nothing else.
With a possible rainstorm over the next couple of days, I sowed a few more seeds.  More beets, kale, lettuce (green towers), glory blend lettuce, Kentucky Wonder pole beans,  Avalon and Honey Select corn, and a new green bean from Park Seed, Advantage.  So we shall see. 

In my raised bed where I planted lettuce, spinach, radishes and tomatoes, my radishes were growing amazing leaves, big and beautiful, but a teeny tiny radish.  So I harvested all of the lettuce and 2 radishes that are actually a good size and planted some corn that would suck the overly abundant nutrients out of the soil.  Now my menu has changed a bit for tonight. Chef's Salad it is!


 
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment