Friday, May 1, 2015

Food Friday

Most of the grocery ads come out Wednesday around here so I wait for those before sitting down and putting together a 10-meal menu.  Hubby is home for lunch on Friday and sometimes the kids are home for a lunch on the weekend...sometimes.  Seven suppers and three lunches usually do the trick. Aldi's ad comes out on Sunday so I try to get that great priced produce. We get paid every two weeks, so week one is usually good with a variety fresh produce and special meat.  Well, needless to say this is week two and more of the "clean out the fridge and pantry" menu. I try to budget a little bit for the second week just in case there are fabulous sales.  Yes, I should do a 2-week menu, but I never stick to it for that long.  A week, yes, 10 days, usually, but 2 weeks, never.

Saturday-
Brunch.  Our fresh eggs, probably scrambled with some spinach from the garden, sausage gravy (using 1/2 of the pound), and the never-fail mayo biscuits.
Supper. Beans and leftover ham, fried taters, spinach (canned), cornbread.

Sunday-
Sunday is always pancake and pizza day. I am out of leftover pancakes that I freeze so I will double or triple the batch.
Pankcakes with the remaining sausage.  Will make enough syrup for Hubby's oats for next week.
Pizza-pepperoni, black olives and I may rehydrate some mushrooms I have jarred up. I still have one jar of my homemade sauce.  I may take one can of tomato sauce from Sam's and can some more next week. I have frozen green peppers I can mix in too.

Monday- It is "May the 4th be with you" but I don't know what Star Wars themed foods I can do.  Fried Ewok?  Wookie Cookies? Light saber stew?
Unless I get super creative, it's spaghetti, salad (add lettuce and radishes from the garden), homemade bread or breadsticks.

Tuesday-Cinco De Mayo
Tacos (obviously), Mexican rice.

Wednesday-
Grilled chicken breasts with mango salsa and a rice pilaf.

Thursday-
Buffalo chicken salad with ranch-salsa dressing.

Friday-
Homemade corn dogs, French fries/homemade chips, carrot sticks.
Deerloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy, frozen green beans, cob corn.

LUNCHES-pimento cheese sandwiches, PB&J, ham&cheese sandwiches, leftovers

ON HAND:
Eggs, Sausage, Flour, Butter, Mayonnaise, Great Northern beans (canned 2 weeks ago)
Cornmeal, Sugar, Pepperoni (Sam's), Black olives (leftover in fridge), Mushrooms (dehydrated),
Pasta (Sam's), pizza sauce (homemade), Tomato Sauce (Sam's),  Rice, Hot Sauce, deer burger, green beans, mixed veggies (Sam's), Baja vegetables (Sam's), Ranch mix (Sam's mixed with homemade), taco seasoning (homemade)

GROCERY LIST:
Milk (Sam's) - freeze 2-3
10# potatoes (Ingles 2.98)
Spinach (Aldi)
Taco shells (Aldi)
Tomatoes (Sam's)
Bag of shredded cheddar (Sam's) - freeze
Iceberg lettuce (Aldi)
Chicken breast (Ingles? 2.48)
Mango (Aldi)
Hot dogs
Carrots (Aldi)
Corn on the cob (BiLo 3/$.99)
Refried beans (Aldi)
Tomatoes with chiles (Aldi)
Avocado (Aldi)

Because of Cinco De Mayo, Aldi especially has great deals on their Mexican foods.  I will stock up on the tomatoes with chiles, probably an extra box of shells for emergency taco suppers.  I will buy extra mango and chop and freeze for smoothies or fruit salads.  Pork loin is on sale at ingles for 1.98/lb.  Probably get one to put in freezer. Bologna at BiLo is 1/2 price, might have that available for lunches too.  Other than that nothing screams to me.  
If I missed a good deal-let me know!






No comments:

Post a Comment