Thursday, July 16, 2015

Food Friday 7/17/15

I am excited to report that week one of the monthly menu has gone wonderfully.  I am very pleased with the amount of food that I bought for the money and that I was able to thoughtfully divide and store several items that I think will be very helpful throughout the next three weeks.  There are still a few items, specifically for lunch, that I have not bought yet and looks like I may not even need. 
Bonus nacho casserole with leftovers
I did not go in order on the menu, but instead I am just marking through the meals that have been eaten.  For example, I opened the large can of crushed tomatoes for the ravioli casserole, instead of having to store several jars of left over tomato, and with a jar of cooked vegetables that was a few days old, I decided to make the pot roast the next day, and then the vegetable soup after that to use up the rest of the sauce and vegetables, so that I did not have a whole shelf of tomato sauce in the refrigerator for two more weeks and no vegetables were wasted, probably to the chagrin of the chickens.

Rice crispy candy
Having this whole month to choose from still gives me the variety I like, at least in the first couple of weeks, so that I don't feel restricted in what we have to eat.  Again, this may change as the month end nears, but hopefully by then my checkbook will reflect the difference and make the change not so hard to swallow.

I got the rice crispy candy made (20 bars) for lunches and today I am going to make the PB&J sandwiches to freeze before the bread gets stale

I am also going to bake up the pizza pockets since I finally got my cheese from Sam's for the month.  I hope these workout.  I am not really using a recipe, just the pizza dough that I always make doubled.  I am opening a big can of tomato sauce and plan to use this for my pizza pockets, as well as make some crockpot marinara to freeze up, again, so I don't have a shelf of tomato sauce to store in the fridge. 



Addendum:  I didn't cut the pizza pockets big enough so I only made 8.  The innards were squeezing through; I will work on that next time round.   Instead, I decided to make mini / individual pizzas and freeze.  I did prebake the dough and then added toppings, flash froze, put in plastic freezer bags and they are being stored in freezer until someone has a hankering.










No comments:

Post a Comment